A dialect split

Randy Alexander strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 18 08:53:50 UTC 2008

[Reposting in plain text (sorry).]

I'm surprised that you're surprised by that.

Twenty-ten is no stranger than nineteen-ten, and two-thousand-ten is
no stranger than two-thousand-nine.  The former may be less formal.

Randy

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 12:32 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      A dialect split
>
> I've already heard both "twenty-ten" and "two-thousand-ten."
>
> -Wilson
> –––
> All say, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange complaint to
> -----
> -Mark Twain

Randy Alexander
Jilin City, China