[ADS-L] DARE on Goo gle Books

Fri Dec 19 23:02:58 UTC 2008

This is good news--and I know that you look forward to the day when HUP moves
far enough beyond the 20th century actually to license research libraries to
make 100% of DARE available to patrons on the internet.

Google Books is sooooo weird. I recently tried to access an article in WORD
STUDY from the 1940s, reprinted from the Princeton Review. I could only get
bits and pieces of it. WHY? No one seems to know. I finally wrote to Merriam and
someone there was quite willing to scan the whole article and send it to me.
Ditto the Princeton Review. GB seems to be protecting the copyright of
publishers who have no interest in having the articles protected. GB says that they
scanned the WS article in the University of Michigan library. Could Michigan be
objecting?

In a message dated 12/19/08 5:43:15 PM, jdhall at WISC.EDU writes:

> I thought you'd like to know that all four volumes of DARE are now
> accessible through a Google Books search. While the format is a "Limited
> Preview," it does allow one to see up to ten per cent of the total
> content within a thirty-day period. We're pleased that Harvard
> University Press was willing to agree to this, and NEH is also
> supportive of this move toward open access.

One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail,
Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now. (http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp&
icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000025)