opportYOUnity

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 24 12:43:59 UTC 2008

I too pronounce "male" or "mail" with the vowel in "man" so it sounds like "mal".  I think it's more prevalent than one would think.  It's hard to say the long a as in "may" followed by an "l".  In transitioning I tend to put a ~ool or ~yool (short oo as in wool) in there. mayool.

In m-w.com the speakers say "Santa Claus" and "flaw" with the "awe" sound.  But the speakers say "claws" "clause" "awe" "law""laud" "applaud" all with the "ah" vowel sound yet they have the same phonetic symbol.  This is not right in terms of the majority USA accent, which is approximately 60% awe and 40% ah for caught being said as cot (assuming this generalizes).  M-w.com is a favorite of mine, but this is a error to me. In the pronunciation guide the sample word  for this sound is "law".  But "law" is pronounced incorrectly as "lah" ~laa.  I wish they would straighten this out.

In all my years I've never heard Santa Claus said as ~Klaaz (ah vowel) before.  Nor ~Klous as well, but I assume that's not an American dialect pronunciation.

Learn truespel in 15 minutes at http://tinypaste.com/76f44