opportYOUnity

Wed Dec 24 17:30:00 UTC 2008

My comment was that, for example, you can have a native speaker who
cannot hear differences in the vowel sounds of marry, merry and Mary,
even though they do themselves pronounce them differently.

(I once had a friend spend five minutes with me, at the end of which,
I was convinced that I could hear a difference in one of these three.
I don't know if I still believe it or not as the effect of being able
to distinguish one was temporary.)

So it's possible that I have two or three pronunciations for Claus/
clause/claws even though they sound identical to my ears.

And seriousness aside, doing this is the only way we're going to get
English to a pentavocalic system such that we can get our letters to
match up to our speech. BB