zero vs. "that" relatives

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 25 17:33:15 UTC 2008

FWIW, I prefer the form with "that." I have the *impression" that
"that" is used more often in BE than in sE. I'm willing to admit that
I could be wrong about that. Maybe it's just that *I* prefer the
"that" forms. But my preference for "that," IMO, is based on my
underlying BE grammar. And, given that more sE speakers than BE
speakers exist and are more likely than BE speakers to be posting to
the Web, IAC, that there should be fewer examples with "that" than
without "that" is to be expected.

-Wilson
–––
-----