"winders of the circuit of circuits"

Andrea Morrow aandrea1234 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 28 18:09:00 UTC 2008

A couple of instances of "circuit of circuits" from a few decades after
Whitman wrote "Song of Myself":

"O my soul, I have given thee new names and gay-coloured playthings, I have
called thee 'Fate' and 'the Circuit of circuits' and 'the navel-string of
time' and 'the Azure bell.'"
from Thus Spake Zarathustra, Friedrich Neitzche 1880s

"…[Nature], however, never remains entirely or eternally determined and
fixed into any permanent and unalterably persistent reality as such, but is
forever in a continual course of change and flow, ever returning out of its
special and particular realizations, in a circuit of circuits, into the
absolute unity, fullness, and allness of the universality…"
from Realistic Idealism in Philosophy Itself, Nathaniel Holmes 1888

The quotations above suggest a linking of the phrase with the spiritual or
metaphysical, but as someone else has said, "Song of Myself" is poetry, so I
doubt there is one fixed meaning for the phrase.  It's more both/and than
either/or, especially with Whitman.

Andrea