antedating of golf "Mulligan" 1936

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Sun Dec 28 19:37:54 UTC 2008

Ben Zimmer and I have been playing tag with this one for some years.  I found 1938(Henry McLemore, the sports writer) and Ben found that McLemore had used it in 1937.

Using Newspaperarchive, _Big Springs(TX) Daily Herald_  May 5 1936 4/5

A story about FDR's press secretary, Marvin McIntyre, who seems to have been an avid golfer(from searching around papers of the time).

   "Another McIntyre-ism is the use of the 'mulligan'---links-ology for a second shot employed after a previously dubbed shot."

Sam Clements