Antedating of "Yuppie"

Sun Dec 28 20:33:50 UTC 2008

On Dec 27, 2008, at 17:37, Shapiro, Fred wrote:
> Dan Rottenberg (May 1980). "About that urban renaissance....
> there'll be a slight delay", Chicago Magazine, p. 154ff.
>
> I have not verified the 1980 cite in the original, although the
> Chicago provenance seems quite plausible.

Rottenberg has agreed to send me a copy of the article, which I will
share with anyone who is interested. He also writes:

"Incidentally, although my use of the term 'Yuppie' predated usage by
others who've claimed to have originated it, the term didn't originate
with me. I just used it in my 1980 article because I heard other
people using it— precisely who, I don't recall."

Grant Barrett
gbarrett at worldnewyork.org