Antedating of "JAP"

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Dec 29 03:08:06 UTC 2008

Using Google I found this:

"According to Baird's Manual of American College Fraternities at pp. 807-08
(19th Ed. 1977), Iota Alpha Pi was the oldest national college sorority
founded by Jewish women.  It was founded at Hunter(then Normal) College in
New York in March, 1903."

So, should we conclude that JAP was in use in 1903?

Fred Shapiro

___________________
From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Jerome Foster [funex79 at CHARTER.NET]
Sent: Sunday, December 28, 2008 9:50 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Antedating of "JAP"

-Herman Wouk may have originated the type if not the actual term in Marjorie
Morningstar in 1945 but I believe the term preceded the novel. In the early
forties there was an informal sorority of Jew ish girls call Iota Alpha Pi,
there being no J  in greek, the Iota was the closest they could get to
JAP.....Jerome Foster, Los Osos, CA