"work construction" 'do construction work'

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 31 04:03:01 UTC 2008

"Work construction" is a "standard" BE construction <har! har!>.
However, it appears to be unique. I can't recall ever having heard
"work [some other kind of job] and nothing that I've been able to make
up, except for "work a good, decent, etc., job," with the meaning,
"have a job that's good in some way": pays well, has regular hours,
plenty of goof-off time, easy-going bossman, or whatever, feels real.

Another phrase with a single meaning is "run on the road": work for
Amtrak in a job that entails working on a moving train: Pullman
porter, conductor, bartender, engineer, cook, dining-car waiter, etc.,
as opposed to working in the railroad yards as an oiler, brakeman,
cleaner, or in some other such maintenance job.

Back in the day, "running on the road" was restricted to Pullman
porter, dining-car waiter, or cook. All other jobs were for whites
only. Once I knew a black man passing for white - he looked liked Sen.
Joseph McCarthy's separated-at-birth twin - who worked as a dining-car
steward, roughly equivalent to maitre d', on the old Katy - for MKT or
Missouri-Kansas-Texas Raiload - Line. The town of Katy, Texas, is
named for this now-defunct railroad.

One of my uncles made a career of running on the road as a dining-car
waiter. By the time that he retired, he had a permanent crease across
his thighs from 55 years of leaning against tables while serving
patrons.

-Wilson
–––
-----