Heard on The Judges: "_an_ harassment"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 31 04:55:44 UTC 2008

No, I missed "an hero'," fortunately. FWIW, "hArassment" seems to be
the preferred pronunciation amongst the colored. But sound-change is
rarely predictable. There are, undoubtedly, some number of BE speakers
who prefer "haRASSment. By coincidence, I happen not to be acquainted
with them. Usually, it's possible to come up with a how, but the why
is usually mysterious.

For, example, for some speakers, the claim that _an_ before a syllable
with unstressed /hV/ is trivially explained by a rule of h-Drop under
just those circumstances is less than convincing, since it's not an
easy thing to persuade all informants that the presence of the /h/ is
a mere illusion.

In the present instance, for example, I say "_an_ historian" simply
because I consciously choose to and not because of any unconscious
dropping of the /h/, just as I choose to pronounce "your" as [jor] and
"you're" as [jur], instead of the other way around, as is common among
Northern-white speakers.

-Wilson
–––
-----