Prescriptive Linguists

James Harbeck jharbeck at SYMPATICO.CA
Fri Feb 1 03:44:26 UTC 2008

>I vividly recall seeing the "devil's fork" on the cover of _Mad_
>magazine about 1970, possibly a little earlier, balanced on the
>finger of Alfred E. Neuman.
>
>   I learned the name much later. Am not sure if _Mad_ called it
>anything at all.

I don't recall that it did, and I remember seeing it in an older
issue of the mag back in my insufficienty misspent youth. OTOH, if
you can remember about when you saw it, and in what, I can try to
look it up in the complete CD-ROM of every issue of MAD up to
sometime last year or so, which I happen to have sitting within reach
here.

James Harbeck.