Prescriptive Linguists (UNCLASSIFIED)

Fri Feb 1 17:35:49 UTC 2008

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

David Singmaster has researched this device and found other names:

TWO PRONGED TRIDENT; Devil's Fork; Three Stick Clevis; Widgit; Blivit;
Impossible
Columnade; Trichometric Indicator Support; Triple Encabulator for Tuned
Manifold; Hole
Location Gage; Poiyut; Triple-Pronged Fork with only Two Branches; Old
Roman
Pitchfork.

It appears to have become known in 1964, although there are apocryphal
references to earlier
incarnations, including a couple back to the 1930s.