Another dating for positive "uptight," if anyone cares

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Feb 3 15:32:09 UTC 2008

At 9:08 AM -0500 2/3/08, Wilson Gray wrote:
>I don't know "up tight" in the meaning, "strait-laced." It could be
>that it was peculiar to New York, an option that I should have
>immediately considered.
>
>FWIW, in Saint Louis, back then, Hart, Schaffner & Marx was considered
>to be the epitome of hip, middle-class dress, probably because Brooks
>Bros. had no shop in Saint Louis, though the company condescended to
>have a shop in <choke!> Kansas City.

Well, they did have to assure that everything would be up-to-date
there...  (Hart, Schaffner & Marx does ring a distant bell; I can
almost remember their commercials/ads.  But not quite.)

LH