Horne

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Mon Feb 4 18:34:47 UTC 2008

        This sounds a little like the Mad Comics piece on "Bop Jokes,"
which did provide several antedatings, see my long post at
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0707C&L=ADS-L&P=R12648
.   I had thought that story might have been drawn by Jack Davis, who
did so much work for the early Mad, but it seems to have been penciled
and inked by John Severin.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Jesse Sheidlower
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2008 12:15 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Horne

On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 01:21:48AM -0500, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:

> Is Horne's 1963 _Hiptionary_, which these word-lists presumably fed
> into, known to anyone here? It doesn't show up as cited in the OED, so

> that doesn't bode well for its  potential for antedating and such.
> Still, the "good lookin' out" in the 1961 piece is the earliest I've
> seen in print (though Wilson recalls it from the '50s).

I have a copy of this displayed rather prominently in my office (the
cover is cool), so you've looked at it, Ben, perhaps without realizing.

It's mostly illustrated, the glossary portions aren't very extensive.
There are some short subject-specific glossaries, and then a lot of
full-page illustrations by Jack Davis (of _MAD_ and other fame) with
short captions. There's also a lovely portrait of him on the back cover.

Overall, it's not the most useful dictionary for antedating purposes.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED