I lately lost a preposition

LanDi Liu strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 5 18:49:23 UTC 2008

On Feb 6, 2008 2:28 AM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: I lately lost a preposition

> At 2/5/2008 01:17 PM, LanDi Liu wrote:
> >On Feb 6, 2008 1:03 AM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:

> > > -----------------------
> > > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > > Poster:       "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET>
> > > Subject:      Re: I lately lost a preposition

> program.
> > > Brit
> I'd
> th
> don't
> the
> > >
> > > I just wrote, in an email message but I would probably also in a
> > > letter, "I would want to make any agreed changes myself."  And I'm in
> > > America.
> >

> >That's an adjectival use of "agreed", so totally different; it has no
> object
> >so it's not transitivized.
>
> I wondered.  Still, isn't it an alternative to "any agreed-to changes"?

Well, it certainly is dropping the preposition, but it is different than the
other examples in that "changes" is not the object of agreed.

Also, is the original construction a question of a non-transitive verb
becoming transitive, or a phrasal verb losing its particle?  Or given the
ambiguity between phrasal verbs and verbs that take preposition phrases as
objects, is this even a worthwhile question?

--
Randy Alexander
Jilin City, China