paremiology cit & Fred's book in Harper's

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Wed Feb 6 14:46:48 UTC 2008

I don't think anyone's mentioned this so far, but my memory is
terrible, so I apologize if I'm repeating old news:

Fred's book got a *very* brief mention in a "review" in Harper's
January 2008 issue. It's in "Too True: The art of the aphorism" by
Arthur Krystal, pp. 83-89. Ostensibly it's a review of Fred's book
and 4 other aphorism/quote books. It's actually more of an essay on
aphorisms and commonplace books with only glancing mentions of these
books. It's *very light* on the evaluation purpose of a review.

But, there's also a cit for "paremiology" there:

p.86, footnote 3
"Today, some experts in the field of paremiology (the study of
proverbs, as if you didn't know) argue that common expressions were
largely dropped from polite speech in eighteenth-century England."

---Amy West