"Same Old Same Old"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Feb 10 01:43:37 UTC 2008

Good work, Same source gives me a cite ("same-o same-o") from Aug. 20, 1947, but won't let me see it unless I pay.

  JL

Sam Clements <SClements at NEO.RR.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Sam Clements
Subject: Re: "Same Old Same Old"

Using Newspaper Archive, it appears in the Pacific edition of Stars and
Stripes 26 August 1949 as same-o same-o. And, not in a cartoon by Bill Hume,
although I have no idea when he started doing his cartoons. The story, if
believed, would indicate a recently arrived American to Okinawa didn't know
what it meant, but the local did. 'Least, that's my reading of it.

Sam Clements