bogart (v.)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Feb 12 00:21:22 UTC 2008

HDAS also has a '66, from novelist Malcolm Braly's _On the Yard_, a book based on a few years he'd spent in San Quentin ca1960.

  JL
Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: bogart (v.)

1966?! Whoa! Impressive. That's almost as early, ca.1964, as I first
heard it on the street in Los Angeles. FWIW, it was also pronounced
"bogard" ['bou "gard / 'bou "ga:d] by young guys who weren't familiar
with Humphrey Bogart. Los Angeles BE is/was? *much* more r-ful than
the Saint Louis version, to the extent that some local blacks even
said "nigger" (*very* creepy to my ears!), the same as white standard
speakers, as opposed to the usual BE "nigguh, nigga," etc., however
you want to spell it in eye-dialect.

FWIW, at that time in that place, to "bogart" someone was to force
oneself on someone, to bully, to intimidate, to back someone down, to
"make [someone] unball [his] fists," as Richard Pryor once expressed
it. Basically, to make someone chicken out by implied threat or even
by mere force of personality. A known bad motherfucker could bogart a
weaker personality merely by asking, "Say what?" in a pleasant,
non-threatening tone of voice.

-Wilson

On 2/11/08, Joel S. Berson wrote:
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: "Joel S. Berson"
> Subject: Re: bogart (v.)
>
> At 2/11/2008 01:44 PM, Gregory McNamee wrote:
> >I don't have the beginning of your thread, Joel, so this may already
> >have been mentioned, but (IIRC) "bogart" came into widespread use
> >after the movie Easy Rider appeared in 1969,
> >with its soundtrack song
> >by the Fraternity of Man, "Don't Bogart That Joint":
> >
> >Don't bogart that joint my friend
> >Pass it over to me
>
> For this sense (2. trans. orig. and chiefly U.S. To appropriate (a
> marijuana cigarette) greedily or selfishly) the on-line OED's
> earliest cite is exactly the above. For sense 1, OED has 1966. But
> I think neither is quite the same as Natalie Angier's example.
>
> Joel
>

> >Don't bogart that joint my friend
> >Pass it over to me
> >
> >Roll another one