bogart (v.)

Wed Feb 13 16:27:20 UTC 2008

In a message dated 2/11/08 9:14:49 PM, RonButters at AOL.COM writes:

> I remember the verb "bogart" from the mid-1950s,when it meant 'hold a
> cigarette in one's mouth in such a way as to get the end wet." I guess it
> would be a
> natural progression from that meaning to one in which one kept the joint too
> long.

A related meaning is found at the following site:

http://books.google.com/books?id=sml2GznH_IsC&pg=PA37&
dq=%22bogart+that+cigarette%22&sig=CNqZen3yIzOhpgRnOa9eGzJhf7w

"If you let a cigarette dangle like tht you are said to bogart that
cigarette."

The year's hottest artists on the red carpet at the Grammy
Awards. Go to AOL Music.