The Demise of Copyediting?

Shapiro, Fred Fred.Shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Feb 14 12:32:22 UTC 2008

I recognize that prescriptivism-flavored postings are heavily frowned upon on this list, but let me pose this in a neutral way focused on the institution of copyediting:  In today's New York Times the following sentence appears: "Your fragrance should never be perceived beyond an arm's length, it should not proceed you into the room."  This is not the first time recently that I have seen major "howlers" in terms of traditional prescriptive usage standards appearing in the Times.  What is the specific cause of such proliferation -- have newspapers laid off their copyeditors?  The Times has in the past given a high priority to copyediting.

Fred Shapiro