More on Kemosabe

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 16 05:10:03 UTC 2008

As I recall the radio show, back in the day when it was sponsored by
"Cheerioats,"  this dynamic duo addressed each other as "kemo-sabay"
(so spelled in a Lone Ranger comic book of the day). If the second
half had been spelled "sabe," most readers probably would have read it
as [seib]. Hence, this was a pronunciation-spelling. Till I read this,
I pictured the second half in my mind as "sobby," though I didn't
relate it to "sob."

-Wilson

On Feb 15, 2008 4:43 PM, Sam Clements <SClements at neo.rr.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Sam Clements <SClements at NEO.RR.COM>
> Subject:      Re: More on Kemosabe
>
> The "Kee-Mo Sa-Bee" part is pretty well solved, at least as far as the
> origin of the application of the term to the Lone Ranger on the radio show
> from 1932.  If you want to see where it, indeed, came from in a camp in
> Michigan, then
> http://books.google.com/books?id=GUVIAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA134&dq=%22kee-mo%22++date:1910-1950&lr=&num=50&as_brr=0
> It meant, to them, "Scout Runner" which was a title bestowed upon a camp
> member who took 9 tests.  There were other Indian sounding names awarded to
> persons who passed certain tests.
>
> I suppose it's possible that someone can read this book, analyze the Indian
> names, and declare the origin.
>
> As to "Tonto," that one's still up in the air, at least as far as boy's
> camps in Michigan can help.
>
> Sam Clements

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens