strum up support

Andrea Morrow aandrea1234 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 16 20:42:00 UTC 2008

>From a CNN article today on Chelsea Clinton's role in the presidential campaign:

Chelsea Clinton will spend three days there to strum up last-minute
votes before the state's Tuesday caucuses, said a source from her
mother's campaign.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/02/15/chelsea.clinton/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

A quick google search for "strum up support" turns up over a million
hits, but most are obvious plays on words (a rock musician strums up
support for his show, etc.)

I see this usage is already in the eggcorn database, but it's the
first time I've seen it, and it seemed worth mentioning.

Andrea