Geoffrey Alert

Brenda Lester alphatwin2002 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Feb 18 18:17:18 UTC 2008

Geoffrey Nunberg is quoted in today's New York Times: "Celebrating the Semicolon In a Most Unlikely Location" (pg B3).

  bl

Mark Mandel <thnidu at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Mark Mandel
Subject: either /'iyD at r/ ~ /'ayD at r/

I heard the following this morning on NPR's Weekend Edition. Diane Roberts,
a professor of literature and creative writing at Florida State,
Tallahassee, had read an essay on the current contest for the Democratic
nomination in the light of the relative histories of civil rights and
women's suffrage. (The show is at
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=19128143 .)

In the subsequent conversation Roberts was asked how she'd feel with either
Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton in the White House. Her reply (5:45):

> I'd be thrilled to death with /'iyD at r/ one. /'ayD at r/ of them would be
> transformative.

By the way, I loved the last line of her essay, about 3:10 in the story:

--
Mark Mandel