"Tell It Like It Is"

Brenda Lester alphatwin2002 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Feb 18 18:26:40 UTC 2008

The phrase was common back in the mid-sixties, and I still hear it used today.
  Sometimes it's shorten to "tell it" in the south.

  bl

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: "Tell It Like It Is"

If Cosell used it as a catchphrase, that certainly would have helped
spread it use to the general public. But was it ever commonly used by
the general public? I never had occasion to socialize with the general
public before the 'Seventies, by which time the phrase had long since
ceased to be hip. So, if if its use by the general public was ever the
case, it's news to me..

-Wilson

On Feb 16, 2008 5:28 PM, Shapiro, Fred wrote:
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: "Shapiro, Fred"
> Subject: "Tell It Like It Is"
>
> Can anyone illuminate the origins of the phrase "tell it like it is"? Wikipedia says Howard Cosell had a catchphrase, "I'm just telling it like it is," but I am not sure how that fits in to the history of the expression.
>
> Fred Shapiro

-----
-Sam'l Clemens