~Feenlend

Tue Feb 19 00:51:41 UTC 2008

Possibly.  That you get in a number of dialects in the US, as well as
conservative Scots/Northumbrian ones, which distinguish the present
participle [-^n/-n] from the gerund [-in].  This distinction  has
been traced to Appalachia, but I wasn't aware of other areas in the
US having it.

But in monosyllables--my Kalamazoo students might have a little bit
of raising (they raise /aeN/ sequences to /eN/, after all), but
nothing like [iN].  And as far as Tom's claim about the UK--Scots
alone, and only in certain words where the preceding consonant is
high, like velars--you can get "keeng, weeng" but not "seeng";
actually,I think it's pretty much of a lexically-conditioned rule
nowadays.  English dialects that have something like [i] + /N/
generally are the ones with pretty /i/-like realizations of pin etc.
anyway, as you might get in Birmingham.  But it's certainly not
General British.  Once again, Tom's ear lets him down.  And he's from
Connecticut too, and in the northeast, I hear NO allophonic differences.

Paul Johnston