~Feenlend

Dennis Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Thu Feb 21 00:42:48 UTC 2008

James,

You are right when you say that final [ng]
dramatically influence preceding vowels, but not
exactly for the reasons you say. When [ng] is
pronounced, the dorsal part of the tongue is
considerably raised (enough to make phoneticians
assign the feature +high to this sound). I
believe it is this dorsal raising that causes a
preceding /I/ to sound tenser since it causes the
end of the /I/ to be higher than the onset, and
that diphthongal quality is what we often use to
distinguish the tense form lax vowels in English.
I checked my wife's (Milwaukee) speech to make
sure that I wasn't southernizing the acoustic
measurements I reported earlier. Her vowel in
"sing" was no longer than "sin" nor did its onset
have formant characteristics that would suggest a
higher or fronter vowel, but the following [ng]
did indeed influence the end of the sound, giving
it a slight diphthongal character (though not
nearly as great as her vowel in "seen," for
example), and that is what we are apparently
hearing when we suggest that the /I/ in such
words is like an /i/.

What they are phonologically, of course, is not
important since /I/ and /i/ are neutralized in
that position. Maybe I'll just type ARCHIPHONEME
here since I haven't for many years.

Finnish, by the way, has both long and short i, neither diphthongal.

dInIs

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English