WOTY? beelzebufo

Dennis Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Thu Feb 21 11:57:24 UTC 2008

Now David, chill dude. We have (and often invent) categories
(remember Tom Hanks words?) that include items for their
outrageousness, beauty, etc..., and they have no chance of being
WOTY. Maybe we should go for the silliest word of the year (although
that would doubtless prompt an arcane discussion, amongst those given
to such diversion, on the precise distinction between those that fit
into the category "silliest" and "least useful" (and others of our
ever-changing distinctions).

dInIs

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Barnhart <barnhart at HIGHLANDS.COM>
>Subject:      Re: WOTY? beelzebufo
>
>For WOTY???  This doesn't even come close.  WOTYs are supposed to
>characterize the year some how.  Tell me, how does this characterize the
>events of 2008?

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English