Grammatical Cupertino confirmed (was "risen" < "raised")

Thu Feb 21 19:13:35 UTC 2008

The author herself confirms Ben's theory. She writes as follows (I assume
"you" is Yankee for "y'all" and not "you" = "Ron Butters," who only presented the
problem and was too dim to see the solution):

 Hey Ron
I did exactly what you suspected. I had written raised, used the grammar
checker and changed it to risen. I guess my editor relied on the grammar checker
as well.
Thanks for reading, and writing!
Laurin

In a message dated 2/21/08 12:05:42 PM, bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU writes:

> > I blame the insidious grammar checker in Microsoft Word. When I run
> >  the sentence with "raised" through the checker in MS Word 2003, it
> >  suggests replacing "raised" with "risen". So most likely it's a
> >  grammatical Cupertino [*].

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)