Just words: Is it plagiarism, homage, or business as usual when public figures "forget" to footnote?

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Fri Feb 22 14:31:59 UTC 2008

I think it's useful to make a distinction between phrasing that is
communally used and phrasing that is associated with a particular
individual. The latter is potentially a more serious offense. The former
isn't an offense at all. (I'm not trying to make a political point here,
just an analytical one.)

No one accused Walter Mondale of plagiarism when he said, "where's the
beef?" in 1984. (Inept use of a popular cliché, perhaps, but not plagiarism.
While the phrase was originally from a Wendy's commercial, it had become a
popular catchphrase by the time Mondale cribbed it.) But eight years later
Joe Biden was knocked out of the race for failing to acknowledge Churchill
as a source of some of his words.

In this case, Obama ad-libbed a remark that is strikingly similar to that
used by Mass. Governor Deval Patrick in a speech some 18 months ago. Patrick
didn't mind and says he is happy to be feeding lines to a candidate he has
endorsed.

In this case, however, I think the words of T.S. Eliot apply: "Immature
poets imitate; mature poets steal."