George Washington's Speech Impediment

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Feb 22 15:45:12 UTC 2008

I've seen exx. of his spelling. IIRC, it was pretty bad, at least in his youth.

  That "speech impediment" sounds more like a regional trait, wouldn't you say?

  Next stage: "George Washington's embarrassing speech impediment was was the result of his ridiculous wooden teeth."

  Fact: Washington's false teeth were made of ivory.

  Like Barry, I wonder increasingly why we even bother.

  JL

  AAllan at AOL.COM wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: AAllan at AOL.COM
Subject: George Washington's Speech Impediment

In the Writer's Almanac this morning, Garrison Keillor said that George
Washington had a speech impediment. In particular, he mixed i's and e's, both in
speaking and in writing.

I hadn't heard about this before. Anyone know about it?

- Allan Metcalf

Ideas to please picky eaters. Watch video on AOL
Living.

(http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel-campos-duffy/2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)