semantic drift: "limerick"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Feb 22 18:45:56 UTC 2008

For many, this means "a brief bawdy or ribald rhymed verse."  The first ex. I've seen in print:

  2003 Emmett Early _The War Veteran in Literature_ (Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland) 207: Nolte...marches down the railroad track...chanting marching limericks: "I'm going to take a three-day pass, I'm going to whip old Jodie's ass...Your left, right, left."

  JL