George Washeengton's Spich empeedeemint

Dennis Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Fri Feb 22 21:01:37 UTC 2008

Although the pin-pen merger appears to be old (as is also perhaps the
[ej] in "bring"), there is little evidence that the major features of
the Southern Vowel Shift would have been in place at Washington's
time. That said, Ron's sarcasm is well-put. Even my grampaw (the
hillbilly one, not the Hungarian) had many of my speech impediments.

dInIs

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       RonButters at AOL.COM
>Subject:      George Washeengton's Spich empeedeemint
>
>Probably he could not even say his own name properly or even pronounce the
>condition that afflicted him; doubtless also he said "pin" for "pen" and
>"breeng" for "bring." All people from Virginia have speech
>"impediments," and the
>natives have had them for centuries.
>
>In a message dated 2/22/08 10:13:19 AM, AAllan at AOL.COM writes:
>

>>  In the Writer's Almanac this morning, Garrison Keillor said that George
>>  Washington had a speech impediment. In particular, he mixed i's and e's,
>>  both in
>>  speaking and in writing.
>>
>>  I hadn't heard about this before. Anyone know about it?
>>
>>  - Allan Metcalf

>Ideas to please picky eaters. Watch video on AOL Living.
>
>(http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel-campos-duffy/
>2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor