Not Your Gramma's Grammar

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Feb 23 13:29:50 UTC 2008

[Original in NYTimes:]

Jacob Rivera, 15, near his apartment in the Bronx, who was convicted
of assault, receives intensive therapy as part of his new
sentence.  [136 characters with spaces.]

[Proposed by David A. Daniel:]

Jacob Rivera, 15, pictured near his Bronx apartment, receives therapy
as part of his sentence for assault.  [106 characters with spaces.]

[The above leaves out both "intensive" and "new".]

Jacob Rivera, 15, pictured near his Bronx apartment, receives
intensive therapy as part of his new sentence for assault.  [120
characters with spaces.]

[Still, the above can be read as though Rivera has been sentenced for
a recent crime, not his first.  Rather, the significant element of
the piece is that he was re-sentenced for his previous
conviction.  The article and picture can be seen at NYTimes
on-line.  The headline there is "A Home Remedy for Juvenile
Offenders".  The article begins:

"When Jacob Rivera, 15, was resentenced in May on an assault
conviction, he felt he had received a 'blessing.'

"Only months earlier he had been sentenced to a year in state
custody, and he had already spent weeks bouncing between a juvenile
detention center in the Bronx and a residential treatment campus upstate."

Joel