wheel barrel

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 25 15:00:46 UTC 2008

FWIW, in East-Texas middle-class BE, "wheel barrel" is the standard
"correction" of local [hwi at l bae@]. Also, "Wilson" being a very rare
name locally, the locals always call me by the hypercorrected
[hwi at ls@n] instead of *[wi at ls@n]. I've never liked my name, so I kinda
dug being "Wheelson."

-Wilson

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Dennis R. Preston <preston at msu.edu> wrote:
>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>  Poster:       "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU>
>  Subject:      Re: wheel barrel
>
>  As is the explanation complicated. Your wife is not a post-vocalic
>  /l/ vocalizer (or deleter), and her rendition is a "real" folk
>  etymology (there is no "barrow" for her but there is a "barrel"). For
>  us standard-speaking post-vocalic /l/ vocalizers (and deleters), the
>  temptation is greater since added to the folk etymological urge is
>  the phonetic evidence itself.
>
>  But I think you are right than we done did this.
>
>  dInIs
>

>  >---------------------- Information from the mail header
>  >-----------------------
>  >Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>  >Poster:       Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
>  >Subject:      Re: wheel barrel
>  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  >
>  >At 12:56 PM -0600 2/23/08, Darla Wells wrote:
>  >>Seen on the Acadiana Freecycle list:Looking for a small wheel barrel to do
>  >>yard work.
>  >>
>  >>------------------------------------------------------------
>  >>The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org
>  >
>  >There should be an archived thread on this from a discussion awhile
>  >back.  As I mentioned at the time, my wife (from Fairfield County,
>  >CT) refers to "wheelbarrels", while I (from
>  >NYC/Rochester/California/New Haven) had never been aware of
>  >encountering the form, so if it's regional, the isogloss is very
>  >complicated.
>  >
>  >LH
>  >