"go bazooka"

Mon Feb 25 15:21:08 UTC 2008

Mimi Schwartz, "Did You Hear the One About the Christian Comedian?",
NYT Magazine, 2/24/08, p. 34:

[about comedian Anita Renfroe and a YouTube clip of one of her
performances]  By Labor Day, it had passed the 800,000 hit mark.  Then
the blogosphere discovered it: Mommyneedscoffee.com and
hotmomsclub.com thought it was hilarious.  "That's when it went
bazooka," Renfroe says.

"go bazooka" (roughly, 'exploded') was new to me, though you can
google up other examples.  presumably extending the weapon sense of
"bazooka", perhaps influenced by "go ballistic" and "go bananas".

so now we have another use of "bazooka", in addition to the musical
toy and weapon senses (and, of course, Bazooka bubble gum).

arnold