guttural as in gut

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 26 01:30:12 UTC 2008

In Rolling Stone, Feb. 21, 2008, p. 62, col.4; in article "The Last Record
Man" (begins on p. 58) by Rich Cohen, about Clive Davis, who has been
producing records for 40 years. Quoting Cohen, then commenting on the quote:

"I was totally unprepared for the Haight-Ashbury population [at the Monterey
Pop Festival]. ... Joplin was mesmerizing, like a white tornado. I had never
seen anything like that, and so literally the cliche of feeling tingles go
up and down your spine, and looking at the people, I said, 'I have to do
it.'"
    ... In other words, Clive's epiphany wasn't chemical -- it was guttural:
He saw the play in Janis Joplin as he saw the play in Goddard Lieberson.

--
Mark Mandel