semantic drift: "swath"

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 27 01:20:46 UTC 2008

How about "swatch" as a partial source, or as another change from "swath"?
Google has "about 1,860" for "huge swatch". Some are irrelevant, but there
are a bunch (a swatch?) like these:

www.columbusing.com/index.php?s=columbustibles
But, believe me, shoes are very sexy to a huge swatch of the general
population. So, listen up shoe professionals… Once the Shoe District gets
off the ...

www.perspectives.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=163737&forum_id=91
There is a huge swatch (not all however) of conservatives that actually do
believe these ten things you have written.

www.topix.com/forum/source/indianapolis-star/T1CHEMDQO0QFMKKJJ/p3
From that same window I see a huge swatch of the black community aimlessly
wandering about all day long.

www.topix.com/forum/who/hugo-chavez/T4DT7I45RG3A8I7N9
The student movement was a huge swatch of Venezuelan society including
people from all social strata.

www.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/comp.security.firewalls/2007-07/msg00308.html
That's a heck of a "huge swatch" of spectrum. ... consider that the
bandwidth will be used by thousands or more users. ... (rec.radio.shortwave)

www.haloscan.com/comments/farlio/9171343124702366618/
And it's not like Obama won't mobilize a huge swatch of GOP voters who have
been let's say swayed by the Southern Strategy over the last 40 years.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=718926&page=2
Well one thing about the article it just restates the old skepticism which
is common with a large swatch of disorders and criticism of pharma --- which
is old news by the way.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2006/02/cutting_off_the.html
And I think a huge swatch of those folks will gravitate to this $150 model.

There are also a number of possible substitutions for "swath".

m a m