closed circle of friends

Dan Goodman dsgood at IPHOUSE.COM
Wed Feb 27 01:32:49 UTC 2008

James Smith wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       James Smith <jsmithjamessmith at YAHOO.COM>
> Subject:      Re: closed circle of friends
>
> She could have been misunderstood by the reporter, or
> heard correctly but the statement
> transcribed/typed/printed incorrectly.

Or "corrected" by a copyeditor.

There are two fantasy novels which include references to the disease
which killed off so many of America's Dutch elms.  (Dutch Elm disease is
  actually a disease brought from the Netherlands [or thought to be
brought from the Netherlands] to which American elms lacked resistance.)

For one of these (Emma Bull, _War for the Oaks_) I'm told by a source I
consider reliable that the author got it right and the copyeditor
changed it (and the author didn't catch this, or it was introduced after
the author's last chance to look over the corrected manuscript.)

--
Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."