an innovation?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Feb 28 21:08:23 UTC 2008

At 3:56 PM -0500 2/28/08, Mark Mandel wrote:
>Or just an error / mishearing for "parsing"?
>
>m a m

So "sparsing out the patterns" < "parsing out the patterns"?  I did
think "parse" was involved, but I was still not sure the source made
sense.  I see from googling it, though, that there are a whole lot of
people, esp. computer people, who do use "parse out" to mean
something like "figure out" or "work out", and indeed the AHD
includes a sense of "parse" (although not "parse out") within
software contexts that relates to this sense.

LH