Definition of parkhouse

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Wed Jan 2 04:33:37 UTC 2008

>Can anyone advise me what this word means?

Quick glance at my dictionaries shows nothing (OED was not included:
some high-roller who has a searchable one can look there).

Quick Google shows several examples of "parkhouse" used with the
apparent meaning "park building", i.e., a building in (or associated
with) a park.

I am familiar with various such park buildings, and I'm sure others
are even more familiar. Some such structures house only restrooms,
others may be quite extravagant with gyms, restaurants, equipment
rental facilities, classrooms, rentable party space, etc. I've not
heard the term "parkhouse" myself as I recall.

I suppose some parkhouses might be essentially mere shelters or
gazebos, although this was not obvious from my Google.

The term also appears with the apparent meaning "[large/multilevel]
parking garage", I suppose maybe by naive translation of German "Parkhaus".

-- Doug Wilson