LSSU Banished Words list, 2008

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jan 2 17:56:27 UTC 2008

My favorite comment is the one below, on "decimate" (topic of a
recent thread here).  I'll try to remember to trot it out next time I
teach the etymological fallacy.  Take any semantic change, e.g. that
for SILLY:  "It's so bad that now there are two definitions, the real
one [= 'blessed'] and the one that has taken over like a weed
['foolish']."  But maybe if we really wanted to make a point with the
Danes of the world (no, I'm not talking about inhabitants of
Denmark), we could suggest they think of new senses not as weeds but
as wildflowers...

LH