decimating DECIMATE

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 4 14:05:47 UTC 2008

Also on power-of-ten prefixes: ISTR a comment here some time ago about
"centibillionaires" used to mean 'people with $100 billion or more' rather
than what it would mean in SI (metric system standard), 'people with 1/100
of a billion dollars = $10M'. "He{c,k}to-", which is the SI for 100x, is
unfamiliar to most people.

Similarly the sf author Lois M. Bujold used "millifennigs" for the units of
a hyperinflated currency, where "kilo-" would have made more sense.

m a m