left & right in politics

Jan Kammert write at SCN.ORG
Sat Jan 5 14:30:17 UTC 2008

I am a teacher, and yesterday in class we were talking about the Iowa
caucuses.  My students wondered why Democrats are called the left and
Republicans are called the right.  I have a vague memory of something a
teacher told me when I was in high school.

I didn't want to share what I remember because my memory is from so long
ago, and because I don't know if the teacher was right.   ... Something
about the defense sitting on the left in court???

Can any of you let me know how left and right came to be?
Thanks!
Jan