left & right in politics

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 5 16:59:54 UTC 2008

Hemicycle, not semicircle? That seems to be usually restricted to special
senses of "semicircle" or more transparently "half-cycle". One of the former
seems to be architectural, possibly including the meeting chamber of the
French Legistative Assembly; but my Internet connection is dismally slow
right now and my searches are not coming up.

The "red = conservative, blue = liberal" mapping is very recent, and US only
AFAIK. From the election broadcasts of 2004 or 2000? I think we've discussed
this before, but see above.

m a m