begun greatly

James Harbeck jharbeck at SYMPATICO.CA
Sun Jan 6 22:20:57 UTC 2008

"Greatly" doesn't mean "exceptionally well" in standard usage; it
means "to a very great extent." Remember that "great" meaning "very
good" (as in "have a great year") is a colloquial usage (less now
than previously, but it's still not fully formal); the earlier and
still more formal sense is one of magnitude. When we talk of "great
books" and "great men," we are drawing on the sense of magnitude to
emphasize their importance; it doesn't just mean "really good books"
and "really good men." And the adverb "greatly" hasn't made the leap
as the adjective "great" has.

OK, now I've read your posting and I see that you've said the same
thing. Well, then, I agree with you. I think your response is great.

I've never heard of Uclue before. People actually pay ("tip") for answers?

James Harbeck.