More early "Murphy-ish" citations (UNCLASSIFIED)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jan 8 18:50:38 UTC 2008

I think we need to distinguish the episodic ones (like the first two
and the last) from the timeless/proverbial ones (most of the others),
with only the latter being true precursors of Murphy.  It's
conceivable that the episodic ones were intended to allude to a
pre-existing proverb or dictum, but it's far from certain.

LH