Evidence for DECIMATE ('one in ten')

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jan 10 14:08:36 UTC 2008

>>Quite something how exercised people can get about points of usage,
isn't it? Knowledge of usage seems to be taken in our society as an
index of intelligence, even of personal worth, and so these spurious
trump cards certainly are provoking.<<

  Yes.  I believe as well that some of the jackasses are semiconsciously expressing loyalty to the "wonderful English [or Latin] teacher" who once finically revealed the "truth" to them in days of yore. Instant superiority! For life!

  If only it was that easy.

  When somebody urges  the "real" meaning of "decimate" on me, I think "What a jerk!" When, on the other hand, I read a well-written passage in which the word is unambiguously used in this way, I think, "How conscientious!"

  Go figure.

  JL