Jagwire

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 11 02:06:25 UTC 2008

Jay Leno noted the British Jaguar commercial pronunciation, Jag-you-ah.  He said "What is that?  It's ~Jagwaar" (where ~aa is pronounced "ah".)  The word "wire" would sound the same as ~waar if pronounced with a Southern accent.

See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at authorhouse.com.

> Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 05:58:55 -0800
> From: wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
> Subject: Re: Jagwire
> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Jonathan Lighter
> Subject: Re: Jagwire
>
> Britons usually say "Jag-u-ar." They also say "Antig-u-a" and "Nicarag-u-a."
>
> The "Jag-u-ar" pronouncer in a TV commercial aimed at Americans was undoubtedly hired to enhance the car's snob appeal.
>
> Old saying: "Everything sounds snootier with an English accent."
>
> Well, some English accents.
>
> JL
>
> Susan Rosine  wrote:
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Susan Rosine
> Subject: Re: Jagwire
>
> I've only heard "Jag-wire" my entire life. Born in Colorado, raised in Wash=
> ington state, now back in Colorado. Mother from Alabama, Father from Indian=
> a. I did once, not too long ago, hear a commercial for the car, and they p=
> ronounced it Jag-You-Are. I noticed the commercial didn't run very long.=20
> SusanOn Jan 8, 2008 6:34 AM, Sam Clements wrote:>>>=
>> Subject: Jagwire>>>> Of course I'm talking about Jaguar.>>>>>>>=
>> Since I'm not a linguist, is there an explanation for the =3D>>>> misp=
> ronunciation of the word? I never encountered it until I worked =3D>>>> =
> with some people in Middle Ohio, who also happen to be undereducated(and =
> =3D>>>> coincidentally from Southern Ohio/Western Pennsylvania). Or am I=
> =3D>>>> reading too much into their family backgrounds?>>>>>>>> Anywa=
> y, is this something as simple as saying "warsh" for wash, "tarred" =3D>>>=
>> for tired? =3D20>>>>>>>> Sam Clements
> =

Watch “Cause Effect,” a show about real people making a real difference.