Jagwire

Fri Jan 11 23:29:40 UTC 2008

I wouldn't characterize the Geico gekko as Estuary English, which I
take to be (or at least, have been) a compromise between Cockney and
RP, a new local de-facto Standard of SE England, with the acceptance
of a fair few  vernacular features (e. g. glottal stop, Diphthong
Shift, l-vocalization, etc.) .  The gekko's too broad-spoken for
that, but he's not the broadest Cockney you can get either.  He
sounds upper working class to middle working class to me--someone the
average American tourist might encounter as a London working-class
person.  For someone who is broader, more like what you'd get in the
council estates of East or South London--if anyone gets BBC America
on cable and sees the home improvement show Changing Rooms, the
capenter Handy Andy Kane.  Now he's London Vernacular--he even
glottalizes voiceless fricatives sometimes.

Paul Johnston